SomaliPress.com

Tanta Museum of Archeology

Tanta Museum of Archeology

The local council of Tanta city chose the year 1913 AD for the establishment of a Museum of Archeology in this city. In 1980, the Egyptian Antiquities Organization, now (the Supreme Council of Antiquities), prepared the present museum. It was opened to the public on 29 October 1990 AD. Tanta Museum is one of the most important museums in Egypt that consists of five floors enclosing a marvelous collection of Pharaonic monuments that date back to various eras; antiquities are exhibited on the first four floors, while the fifth floor contains the administration department, storage facilities, and a conference room. The largest city in the Delta, Tanta is located between three important ancient sites: Sais, Naucratis, and Buto. Excavations from these sites have yielded statues, pottery, and other objects now in the museum collection.


The Rail Museum, Tanta Station, Cairo is a model of Tanta Station built between the year 1930 and the 1933. It was designed using Islamic decorations. Tanta is also a widely admired city of Egypt due to its three exceptional annual festivals that re conducted in honor of the Ahmad al-Badawi, the revered Sufi of the 13th C. Ahmad al-Bawadi is the founder of the EL-Ahmadiah tariqah and is also buried in the central mosque of Tanta. Mosque of Sidi Ahmad El-Badawi In Tanta, El Gharbia was built by Abdel-Aal , the vicar of Sayed El-Badawi and a Sufi who traveled from Morocco to Egypt during the Mameluke era . Later , it was enlarged by El-Sultan El-Nasser Ben Qalawoon and further expanded by Seifeddin Qaitbey . In the modern era , the mosque was restored under the rule of Mohamed Ali and under King Fouad. The Museum of Tanta contains collections from the present day back to Pharaonic times.

Address:
Tanta Museum of Archeology
Total Objects : 1759
Mustafa El-Gendy Street, Tanta, El Gharbia, Egypt
Tel. +20-4-319003

Last Updated on Sunday 16th January 2011