Super Falcons Win Women's African Cup of Nations

Published on Monday 15th November 2010

Nigeria defended their Womens' African Championship title as they defeated Equatorial Guinea in the final 4-2 thanks to two late own-goals from Guinea played in Daveyton on Sunday.

In a bizarre climax to the game with the scores level at 1-1 going into the last 25 minutes, it was Nigeria who ran away with the match in unusual fashion.

Nigeria scored their second goal through an unstoppable header from Ugochi Oparanozie to lead Guinea 2-1 in the 76th minute.

Then it was time for the game to witness an incredible sequence of events. First it was the spectacular own-goal header from Guinean defender Noah Nkein the 79th minute. Then four minutes later, it was the turn of the Guinean captain Conceicao Carolina to give the Nigerians an unassailable 4-2 lead in the 83rd minute.

Guinea did manage to get a goal back in the 82nd minute through Bojo Jade to give her team a glimmer of hope until the final own goal handed Nigeria the title.

In the third/fourth place playoff also played in Daveyton earlier on Sunday morning, the “Indomitable Lionesses” didn't live up to their nickname as a rampant Banyana Banyana side scored a convincing 2-0 victory over Cameroon.

Banyana were able to salvage some pride in their consolation match after a disappointing semi-final loss to Equatorial Guinea earlier in the week.

Banyana were by far the better team throughout, with Cameroon looking like they didn't really want to be playing any further part in the tournament after losing their semi-final.

Banyana scored early in the first half after Cameroon failed to deal with a free kick in the 8th minute. Nthabeleng Modiko went for goal from the set-piece from just outside the box and her shot struck the crossbar. The Cameroon defence didn't clear the ball, and the cross was whipped in to Banyana winger Nocawe Skiti as she headed the ball into the back of the net for the opening goal of the game.

Cameroon's frustration came to the fore in the 11th minute when the visitors' keeper, Fouda Ndongo should have been sent off for a dangerous tackle on Banyana forward Leandra Smeda.

Ndongo came out of her box and flew into the tackle with her studs showing.The foul was given, yet Ndongo escaped without even a caution from the referee.

Cameroon's first and only chance of the first half fell to Gaelle Enganamouit in the 25th minute when she made a good run down the middle and sent off a powerful strike that required a good save from Banyana keeper Thoko Mndaweni.

Banyana went 2-0 up in the 38th minute through another header, this time through Amanda Dlamini scoring when she found herself on the end of a good corner kick taken by Mamello Makhabane.

From the outset of the second half, Banyana continued to attack the Cameroon side and dominate the game, but failed to capitalise, on their superiority.

Speaking after the game, Banyana coach Augistine Makalakalane hailed the support the South African people had given the team: “I'm happy for the support the people came out and gave us, and the players stayed motivated.”

“I think my outstanding player has been the 21 players in the squad, they've played well and given their best.” added Makalakalane when asked to single out his best player.



Post new comment