SomaliPress.com

Egypt's Mubarak, Sons to Face Trial in Protesters' Deaths

Published on Tuesday 24th May 2011

Egypt's chief prosecutor says former President Hosni Mubarak and two of his sons will be tried on charges relating to the deaths of protesters during the revolt that led to Mubarak's resignation.Egypt's state news agency announced the decision Tuesday. Groups demanding Mubarak's prosecution planned a mass protest in Cairo for Friday.The news comes after Egyptian authorities last week released Mubarak's wife after she agreed to hand over about $3.4 million in accounts in two banks and a villa in Cairo.Authorities had detained Suzanne Mubarak on charges of corruption, for allegedly abusing her husband's influence for unlawful personal gain. Her sons, Alaa and Gamal, are in custody in a Cairo prison and facing a variety of corruption and abuse charges.   Mubarak remains in detention on charges that include embezzlement of public funds and the killing of anti-government protesters.The ruling military council dismissed media reports last week that it might pardon Mubarak.The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces released a statement that says it does not interfere in judicial affairs.Mubarak and the former first lady were both hospitalized at a facility in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. The former president was admitted to the facility in April after suffering heart problems. Mrs. Mubarak was admitted this month after complaining of chest pains.Mubarak was ousted by a popular uprising in February after ruling Egypt for more 30 years. There are varying, but unverified, estimates of the Mubarak family wealth.

Follow our Middle East reports on Twitter and discuss them on our Facebook page.

Terms:

Comments

Post new comment